This is a spicy and fiery mushroom recipe. Vindaloo is a popular Goan portuguese dish generally made using pork or chicken marinated in a blend of spices and vinegar and potatoes, cooked together. For my vegetarian version i have used mushrooms to replace meat. It is simple to make and yet very delicious dish. You can serve it along with steamed rice, fresh pao or bread. Your family and friends will definitely like this unconventional dish, different from other mushroom recipes. Try it and enjoy!
Calories: 260 per person
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
For the Vindaloo Paste:
8-10 Kashmiri red chilies, de seeded / 1.5 tsp. Kashmiri red chilli powder
2 tbsp. coriander seeds
1 tbsp. cumin seeds
2 green cardamoms
4 cloves each of 1 inch
2 inches piece of ginger
10-12 small to medium-sized garlic
1 tsp. turmeric powder
5 tbsp. vinegar/malt vinegar
For the Vindaloo:
2 packet of button mushrooms, rinsed and chopped
2 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
2 medium-sized onions, chopped
2 green cardamoms
5-6 black peppercorns
3 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
1/2 cup water
Butter 1 tbsp.
Oil for deep-frying + 1.5 tbsp.
salt to taste
1. Grind all the spices and herbs mentioned for the vindaloo masala paste with vinegar to a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a wok and fry the potato cubes. drain and keep aside.
3. Heat 0.5 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter in a pan. Once heated, add the mushrooms and saute on high flame till almost done (10-12) minutes.
4. Keep the mushrooms aside, once done.
5. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a pan. Once heated, add cardamoms and peppercorns and let them sizzle
6. Then add the chopped onions & saute till they become golden.
7. Now add the masala paste and saute for some 10-12 minutes on medium flame.
8. Keep on stirring the paste in between to ensure it does not get burnt.
9. Add the mushrooms and mix these well with the vindaloo paste.
10. Saute for 2 minutes. Add water, salt and simmer the gravy for 8-10 minutes.
11. Then add the fried potatoes and simmer for 1 minute.
12. Garnish mushroom vindaloo with coriander leaves. Serve mushroom vindaloo hot along with fresh pao or bread.
1. If needed, add some water while grinding the vindaloo paste.
2. The number of red chillies can be increased or decreased as per your preference but in my opinion keep the vindaloo a bit spicy.
3. Instead of frying the potatoes, you can also steam them.
4. The vindaloo can also be prepared using any other vegetable, paneer, tofu or even meat for non-vegetarians, but make sure to add potatoes.
5. You can also increase the amount of water in the vindaloo to make it curry like.