Italian Basil Pesto is a very versatile sauce, which can be made easily at home, with a few ingredients and in no time. Pesto is an authentic Italian sauce made using pine nuts, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic and cheese. It is filled with freshness of basil, nuttyness of pine nuts and hints of garlic. Italian basil pesto can be used in many ways. It can be used as a marinade for grilling and barbecuing, in pasta, in sauteed vegetables, on freshly baked bread, on pizza, etc. Try this easy to make Italian Basil Pesto.
Makes: 2.5 cups
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
2 cups Basil
1/4th cup Parsley
12-15 Cloves Garlic
1/4th cup Pine Nuts/ Walnuts/ Peanuts
1/2 cup Olive Oil/ Canola Oil
1/3rd cup Grated Cheese
Salt to taste
1. Wash parsley and basil nicely in running water.
2. Add all the ingredients in a blender and grind into a slightly coarse paste.
3. Pour it in an airtight container and drizzle some oil over it. Store it refrigerated for up to 3-4 weeks or frozen for around 2 months.
1. Don’t grind the pesto too fine as it is always a little coarse.
2. Drizzling some oil over the prepared pesto will prevent it from spoiling.
3. Store it in a refrigerator or freezer if you don’t want to use it immediately.
4. Preferably add parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese) or pecorino cheese or grana padano cheese.