Pizzas are all time favorite of one and all. Freshly baked with a soft and crunchy crust, flavorful homemade pizza sauce and melting cheese, nothing can be more better. Making the pizza base at home adds to the taste, making it better than any fast food restaurant’s pizza.
With a handful of ingredients, it is easy to make pizza base at home. Though a bit long method of kneading, proofing, rising and baking, but the effort is truly worth it. The result is a crust, soft and chewy from the inside and crunchy from the outside.
Kneading the dough perfectly for long time is the secret to a perfect soft and chewy pizza dough as it activates the gluten in the flour. It requires great power of your hands. It is better to knead the dough using an electric mixer or a stand mixer with dough attachment. Not only it gives better results, but also spares your hands! Cornmeal used to dust the pizza base adds to the texture, taste and makes it more crispier.
Do comment your queries and experience, do share the recipe and like my facebook page. Try this homemade pizza base recipe at your home and enjoy with your family and friends!
Servings: 2 Medium Pizza Bases
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Kneading + 2 ½ hours Rising & Proofing
2 cups All Purpose Flour (maida)
¼ + ½ cup Water
3 tbsp. Olive/ Canola Oil
4 tsp. Milk Powder
10 grams/ 3 ½ tsp. Dry Yeast
4 tsp. Honey
1 tsp. Salt
Cornmeal (makki ka atta) for dusting
- Heat the water in a microwave, don’t let it boil. Just heat it till lukewarm.
- Take ¼ cup of the lukewarm water in a bowl, add honey and mix well.
- To the water and honey mixture, add the dry yeast and mix well.
- Cover the yeast mixture and keep it aside in a warm place for nearly 25-30 minutes to let it rise.
- In a large bowl, mix the all purpose flour and ½ cup lukewarm water, mix it and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the flour and water mixture, add the yeast mixture, the Olive/ Canola oil, milk powder and salt to it and combine well.
- knead well into a soft dough for at least 15 minutes using a hand mixer with dough attachment.
- Cover the dough with cling film and let it rise in a warm place for 1 ½ hours or till it doubles in size.
- Punch back the dough and divide it into 2 equal sized balls and roll it out into a pizza base, dusting cornmeal generously.
- Cover the pizza base with cling film and let it rise for 15 minutes or till it doubles in size.
- Repeat the same with the second dough ball and use the pizza base as required.
- Drizzle some oil, spread some pizza sauce, toppings, cheese and bake it in a preheated oven.
- Recipe links: Italian Vegetable Pizza, Homemade Italian Pizza Sauce, Pesto Sauce Pizza, Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce.
- Don’t boil the water just warm it otherwise the yeast won’t rise. You can add a little more water if required to make a soft dough.
- You can also add any flavourings to the dough like garlic powder, oregano, chilli flakes, etc. while kneading the dough.
- Knead the dough well for at least 15 minutes to make it soft and elastic and to activate the gluten in the dough. Use an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with dough attachment to knead the dough better. If using hand to knead the dough, do it for 20 minutes.
- Dust the pizza base with Cornmeal generously to make it crispier and similar to the texture of store bought pizza. You can also make 3 personal sized pizzas instead of 2 medium pizzas.
- The leftover dough can be stored in a refrigerator for upto 2 days and can be used to make garlic bread or foccacia.